Maine trip, the first half.

Yes, it was quite the month of sailing, cruising, racing, and enjoying a little time to do it somewhere other than Annapolis.  I left you on July 28 with a log entry about log canoe racing and prior to that back on July 6 about an upcoming trip to Maine.  Well, we did it all and then some, but I'm only going to deal with the first half here since there's so much!  I'll jump right in with the last minute planning for Maine which pretty much was me frantically making sure my work obligations were as wrapped up as possible and that I'd be able to forget the office completely - never hard to do though especially when I'm on a boat.  And when am I not on a boat!?!

Here's where things got totally organized and finalized, my cruise schedule cobbled together from months of emails, the cruise handbook, and our own desire to rest and relax while at the same time take it all in and hit the high points.  As you can see, we had a pretty busy schedule with the events of the cruise and all of the dining laid out to the nth degree.

Hope there's room for me on the way home! 

The week+ away was welcome of course, but even so, I've never sailed in Maine and I knew that it wasn't going to be like going to Bermuda with perfect sunny skies and pink beaches every day.  Nope, we had rain, we had fog, and we had a few chilly nights huddled around the coal burning stove, yes aboard CYGNET, a boat made out of wood.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Our first stop was the Castine Inn for a night prior to picking up the boat.  It was a gray day, not altogether cool, but certainly worthy of a light sweater.  Brad immediately started geeking out on the boats, and I just took in the views and wondered at the tide changes, the zillions of dinghies waiting at the dock to go out to their yacht, and noting that it was time for a cocktail.

Big tide, little dinghies. 

Trying to be photographically inclined... 

We had a delightful dinner with some friends at the Pentagoet Inn and retired early for a big day of loading up CYGNET and getting under way back to Castine for our first CCA event of a lobster bake dinner.  However, it didn't quite work out quite that way...we woke up to a downpour, a downpour that ended up lasting ALL day and got worse as it went on.  Needless to say, we managed to get our mostly dry stuff aboard CYGNET and then we made the decision not to sail around to Castine but to drive back and start our cruise via car. 

Yuck.  And it's gonna be like this all day...

Bucks Harbor Marine guys fixing up an extra halyard for the pigstick for the CCA burgee.  In the pouring rain of course.

After such a wet day, we'll be drying out with this later on. 

Raining sideways with the T/S State of Maine in the background while the CCA party starts at Maine Maritime Academy.

But what a difference a day makes.  It's said about the weather that if it's not nice, just wait a minute.  In less than hour, it went from more of the previous day to the summer in Maine like you read about. 

Good morning - 0706

Getting brighter -0719

Voila - 0753

This is what I was waiting for: perfect.  With Buck Island in the foreground and Blake Point in the background.

This is what I was waiting for: perfect.  With Buck Island in the foreground and Blake Point in the background.

And we're finally under sail!

CYGNET moored and we're headed to the lobster party!

For our full day at Castine, in the sun, we went for a tour and hands on experience of the simulator at Maine Maritime.  Our 3 out of 4 options ended up being a tug pushing a barge, a Coast Guard Cutter, and a tug on it's own.  They threw wind, waves, current and other boats in the New York Harbor at us and the only incident was me attempting to dock the cutter at about 11 knots.  Almost had it too. 

Force 3 with rain and current.

Very serious business with the Rhum Keg.  Secret ingredients as well. 

Perfect end to a perfect day.  Wow.

Sunday morning we awoke to another perfect day with light winds and got rolling early to Center Harbor for our tour of the Brooklin Boat Yard.  We motored most of the way down Eggemoggin Reach and picked up the last mooring in the harbor.

Lots of pretty boats. 

The BBY is quite wonderful with a great history, but instead of me trying to tell you, check out their nice website.   Our very own CYGNET was built at this yard back in 1966.  They've come a long way since then, but they still build classic wooden boats and do a fine job at restoration too.  Steve White, the President of the yard and also a CCA member, which is why we got such a fabulous tour, is the son of the builder of CYGNET, Joel White, who was the son of E. B. White.  Steve showed us around the entire works and gave us some great stories about the two boats currently being worked on.  One is a 1948 48' Hacker Craft run-about called PARDON ME.  The world's largest.  It's really an incredible boat, but also a bit of an elegant misfit.  The other is a 70' cold molded sloop which is a complete copy of its owner's former sailboat which was donated.  Once the boat was gone, the former owner realized he'd made a mistake and decided he needed a project, at 90 years old, and so BBY is just about done and splashing SONNY on September 3 and debuting her at the Newport Boat Show on September 12.

PARDON ME upside down for hull work.

SONNY on 8/11 and as of 8/31 she's ready to launch.  Wow.

Snagged this from the BBY FB page.  A bunch of appreciating CCA members who had a great tour with Steve in the middle with the mustache.

I think this a good place to stop and continue from.  I've got over 1000 photos go continue going through, some probably for the circular file, but if you feel like weeding through everything including a few videos, go for it.  As always, enjoy!